Pages

Tuesday 8 March 2016

City Lights from Oakshott

Quilting is like waiting for a bus, you wait for ages and then THREE finished quilt tops all at once.  Yes, I kid you not they are as follows:

1  Little House in the Woods 


Thank you so much to everyone who gave me advice on the quilting, I really appreciate it.  I think I replied to everyone but if I missed you please accept my apologies.  I have decided to hold off on the quilting until I have done…….

2 Sticks and stones

I made two extra blocks and added another row.  As you can see there are lots and lots of blocks of all shapes and sizes, great for practicing on before I tackle the Christmas quilt above, which I love.  The only thing is I haven’t quilted with sunglasses on before………

3 City Lights



This is the most lovely quilt, and I know the pics don’t do it justice.  The fabric is Oakshott 100% mercerised shot cottons, Lipari fat eighths  with a colourshott charm pack for the centres.  


It is the most beautiful fabric.  The lipari appears a little heavier than normal quilting fabric, and it seems to shine and shimmer, changing colour with the light and the warp  and weft are different colours.   It is expensive fabric although Oakshott fabrics are widder than normal at 54 inches. To give some perspective in the UK I pay about £12 per metre for Moda, for Oakshott fabrics the price varies but Lipari is £21. 95 per metre, although this appears to be their most expensive range.  I purchased a kit about four years ago, to buy it now would be £75, a lot for a quilt only 47 inches square.  Is it worth it? 


Oh yes, but only for something, or someone special.  This quilt is to be a gift to a special person in my life.



Yes, I’m on a roll.  I have also cut out the first five blocks for the Ugly Christmas Sweaters quilt along at Sew Fresh Quilts.  


As some of my sweaters will be plain Christmas fabric I am making these first.  I do need more fabric but haven’t found the right ones yet but this will make a good start for the 16 block version.  

Do you ever have those weeks when everything conspires against you?  Well I’m not just having a bad week, I’m having a bad year.  Do you ever loose things?  I do, now and again, but here is my list since Christmas:

1 Dovo scissors
2 6 inch ruler
3 My favourite thimble, silver and a gift from a friend.
4 Not one, not two, but today makes three unpickers
5 The battery from my camera, this has turned up today, where? In the charger, even though it was obviously the first place I checked as I’d just charged it.
6 The memory card reader

I am hoping the thimble turns up, that’s the one that makes me sad, but, I’m sure I heard something fall behind the bookcase a few weeks ago, I just need several hours and a bit more energy to remove all the books and move it.  Other than that I’m seriously going senile.

Linking up with Sew Fresh Quilts  Freemotion by the River, Quilter in the Closet, My Quilt Infatuation,  Crazy Mom Quilts,  Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? and TGIFF

Smiling and laughing to myself (yes, it’s another sign I know)
Kate

15 comments:

  1. Congrats on all your accomplishments! Loving your City Lights. I have not used Oakshott yet, but I did win a FQ pack so someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always love the City Lights design! This is going to be a beautiful quilt, those colors! I've not used Oakshotts before either, but I've used Shot Cottons a lot. The warp & weft is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tops. City lights is my favourite! But Little house in the woods is beautiful too. I will come back to see the finished quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on all these finishes: you really can't beat Oakshotts, can you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kate, I hope you find the thimble! That's quite a good selection of finishes you've got there already - and the Oakshott is to die for! Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen a log cabin quilt with actual cabins in - love it!! As for that Oakshott top - wow, wow, wow. I saw it at Festival last year and couldn't condone the price - but having seen this and, as you say, for something special it is totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your City Lights looks great ! Oakshott fabrics are really shimmering. Not easy to have that look on a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the very same Lipari F8 bundle and haven't broken it yet. It's got to be just the right project. Your City Lights just shimmers. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah! That City Lights quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Your City Lights quilt just shimmers! It's going to be an awesome finish! Thank you for linking up at TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on all the finishes!! that oakshott fabric sounds so fantastic. have to go looking now ;))

    ReplyDelete
  12. City Lights is gorgeous! And I have a few novelty Christmas prints if you're still looking for some pieces. Shoot me an email at
    mindingmomma at aol dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  13. City Lights is gorgeous Kate. I have never used Oakshott fabrics but anyone that I know who has absolutely raves about them, so I am guessing that they are worth the extra expense.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! I love the City Lights quilt. It is absolutely stunning. That fabric is spends but I think you really created something wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave a comment, it helps me grow as a quilter and as a blogger. It also makes me very happy :)
I try to respond to all comments by email, but if I don't reply within a few days it may be because you are a no reply blogger

With smiles from,
Kate